Thursday, March 23, 2017

Seabrook Lucky Trails Half Marathon race recap

Well, I promised a race recap, and I’d hate to leave all 5 3 of you hanging!

It started off really well; it was cool (for Houston, that is) although very humid and foggy, and my coworker and I were doing good. We had a good run/walk going, and we were actually passing some people. The trails were fine, and everyone was in a good mood. What a great run! What a great Sunday! What a great life! This would have been an awesome 7 mile race! Unfortunately for my coworker, it was 13.1. Because after we crossed the halfway point (there were two loops), it all fell apart for her. She slowed down, ran less, walked more, and was having a really tough time. We weren’t last until about mile 10 or 11. Then we got passed by a few walkers, and by one little old lady who walked the whole time with a full McDonald’s Styrofoam cup. Coworker said it was iced tea. I thought it was rum. Either way, it had magical properties as she passed us. Her and her cup! Then we got passed by the people who had done the marathon the day before. Oy.

So, yeah, I finished next to last and my coworker finished dead last (she wanted to…honest! You think I would pass my pal on her first half marathon?). The time limit was four hours and I finished at 3:59:03 and my pal finished 3:59:07 or so.

But ya know what? Who cares? We finished, and we finished running, and upright! We lapped everyone on the damn couch and we she toughed it out! I know she wanted to quit more than once after mile 7, but really there wasn’t place for her to go, and she’s a beast!

I felt good after, a little disappointed in the food and warm beer, but hey, most races aren’t BOTP friendly anyway, and I am glad there WAS food and beer! Plus, I got a shiny medal so ha!

I didn’t have any knee or IT band issues, although my shins were a little sore the next day. But no soreness, and no blisters. I may lose the toenail on my right big toe though, but meh, whatevs. It will grow back.

So I really feel excited about doing the marathon in October. Of course ask me how I’m feeling in August and the answer may be different! But I am ready to keep running, and doing some fartleks (that word makes me giggle because I have the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy) and strength training. I do want to lose some weight too, as that will make things easier, but I struggle with that because of the rungries.

All in all, it wasn’t what I expected, but it worked out and I got a medal, and pizza and beer and cupcakes after and there ain’t nothing wrong with all that!

4 comments:

  1. You go on with your bad self! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you got on here!! LOL And my bad self thanks you! :P ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!! I think there was more I wanted to say but I couldn't remember all of it lol :P

      Delete